Monday, February 22, 2010

The Dating Game

What's it take to meet a woman these days? I don't know what you do but I put a personal ad on Craigslist. Whenever I do that I invariably get 20-30 robo-hookers and one real person. Of course its easy to spot the bots--they never make any reference to anything in your ad. I don't know exactly how the robo-scammers operate but I assume they're trying to steal money or sell sex or something.
The real woman emailed me for a few days then disappeared, didn't answer my last email. What to do? I waited. After a week I sent her another suggesting we have a coffee or walk on the beach and beat each other over the heads about our childhoods. ((Both of our therapists had suggested we investigate our childhoods and both of us were resisting.) I also had won tickets to a concert from a radio promo and I invited her to the show. She said she already had a ticket but would love to meet me after the show.
I agonized over this for days leading up to the weekend: did I really want to drive 100 miles to try to see this fascinating woman for a few minutes after the show or who knows what? And should I bring a friend for my other ticket? What if something clicked with the woman? Could I graciously dump the friend somehow? But I wanted to have a guaranteed good time and that meant bringing the friend along to the CL hookup, even though it was fraught with peril as he is more funny, smart, and entertaining than me, and could conceivably steal the girl! But that was a chance I decided to take.

1 comment: